Position Overview: The Bilingual (Vietnamese) Disability Community Liaison provides mentoring, skills training, advocacy, options counseling, information & referral, and other supportive services to people with disabilities. This position will also participate in systemic advocacy activities as prioritized by their supervisor. Conduct outreach and link BCIL to Vietnamese community organizations and individuals with disabilities. The position is based out of BCIL’s Dorchester office.
The Boston Center for Independent Living is a frontline civil rights organization led by people with disabilities that advocates to eliminate discrimination, isolation, and segregation by providing advocacy, information and referral, peer support, skills training, PCA services, and transitional services to enhance the independence of people with disabilities.
As an organization, we commit to making all aspects of our work antiracist, not only because it is just but because it is necessary to serve our community of people with disabilities. We commit to purposefully identify, discuss, and challenge issues of race and ethnicity, and the impacts they have on our organization, our work, and our people.
BCIL serves a very diverse clientele, and our staff reflects much of that diversity. People with disabilities, people of color and those who speak another language are encouraged to apply for positions. All applicants are welcome.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in partnership with BCIL’s Dorchester Program Manager to identify and build alliances with organizations serving the Vietnamese-speaking community in the BCIL service area.
- Participates in existing collaborations and other relevant forums focused on reaching and/or better serving the target community.
- Work with consumers to help them assess their personal independent living needs and develop independent living service plans (ILSPs).
- Provides individual independent living services to consumers and/or families, including options counseling, skills training, mentoring in self-advocacy, information & referral, and service coordination, individually or in groups.
- Meet with consumers at BCIL, or, when the consumer is unable to travel, meet at other mutually agreed upon locations within the BCIL service area.
- Assist in staffing the Fields Corner/Dorchester office; responsible for opening and/or closing the office on a rotating schedule.
- Document all activities according to accepted BCIL standards and timelines and ensure that all assigned consumers have all mandated forms in accordance with contract standards.
- Actively participate in:
- monthly staff meetings (all-staff, direct services and case conference), and other mandatory meetings as instructed.
- ongoing training opportunities (mandatory and optional) to ensure up-to-date knowledge of federal, state, and municipal government benefits and regulations, as well as community resources.
- weekly or bi-weekly supervision, coming prepared to discuss successes, challenges, productivity, documentation, and professional development goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bi-lingual: Vietnamese/English.
- Commitment to independent living philosophy.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to initiate and carry out complex projects.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and excellent listening skills.
- Ability to take direction and follow through on assigned tasks and to manage time effectively.
- Flexibility to work collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Ability to model clear professional boundaries, social skills, and work etiquette.
- Ability to travel throughout BCIL service area (driver’s license not required).
- Professional experience in disability services/advocacy.
- Lived experience as a member of the population to be served.
Computers, copier, scanner, Microsoft Office, printer, and other office equipment/programs.
Office area is a shared workspace divided by cubicles. Verbal communication can be heard from other staff in adjoining cubicles. Will need to be in the office or field a minimum of 3-4 days per week at BCIL’s Fields Corner office.
Hours: 40 Hours – Full Time
- 2 weeks paid vacation (increases with length of service)
- 2 personal days
- 13 holidays
- 12 sick days
- Health, dental, and vision (75% paid by agency). After a 90-day probationary period is complete, full-time staff qualify for short-term disability, long-term disability, and group life insurance which is 100% company-paid.
- Optional FSA medical and dependent care accounts, critical care insurance, and additional life insurance available (employee paid)
Salary: $49,000 per year. (Salary includes bilingual differential)
How to apply: Email your cover letter and resume to: BCILemployment@bostoncil.org
BCIL is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodation is provided as needed for employees and other affiliates. Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) and List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE) checks are part of BCIL’s standard procedure.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org