One Care is a program for consumers between the ages of 21-64 and is designed to combine Mass Health and Medicare to provide health care that is coordinated, effective, and directed by you, the consumer.
Features of the program include:
- A care team, including a primary-care provider, a care coordinator, specialists, and a representative from the community (called an LTSS Coordinator) who will help a consumer get the medical and non-medical services needed to achieve wellness and quality-of-life goals;
- New and expanded services, like homemaking, peer supports, vision and dental care, and repair of wheelchairs and other equipment;
- No more need to carry two cards, or go back and forth between two insurers to see if a service is covered!
Consumers can ask their insurance company (called a “One Care plan”) for a Long Term Supports and Services (LTSS) Coordinator from the Boston Center for Independent Living (BCIL). LTSS Coordinators don’t work for the One Care plan or for Mass Health – they’re employed by BCIL, and other organizations like BCIL, to work for you.
LTSS Coordinators work with consumers:
- Identify goals, and what services and supports are needed to help them be achieved;
- Inform the care team about which long-term services and supports are available;
- Help the care team make a Personal Care Plan that includes services that will support independent living and/or recovery;
- Assist in connections to the services in the Personal Care Plan;
- Help keep the lines of communication open with the OneCare plan, and service providers;
- Be there to make sure services are working well and goals are being achieved;
- Help in understanding and protecting your rights as a person with a disability.
The video below features Jennifer, an LTSS Coordinator at BCIL, and Olivia, a One Care member that Jennifer works with, and shows what an LTSS Coordinator can do:
For more information on One Care:
- Visit Mass Health’s One Care page
- Call the Mass Health Customer Service Center at 1-800-841-2900 (voice) or 1-800-497-4648 (TTY).